Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 12 - DOUBLE Bucket Challenge

Hello all,

It's been hot this week, so having to do the ice bucket challenge (more on that soon) was a nice break. 

Doing the #IceBucketChallenge for ALS and the American Cancer Society - so TWO buckets!

I hope you have been having a good week, as it's time to update everyone on how my training for the NYC marathon has been going.  For anyone who may be just joining us I'm training to run my 4th marathon and to try and raise $6,000 for the American Cancer Society in celebration of my wife battling breast cancer in 2013. 

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

Health, and running (IN THE HEAT)

I'm still doing well. I finished up my ASTYM treatments at my physical therapist.  I had 4 treatments in two weeks, of having my legs rubbed with a thin plastic blade to break them down and make them more flexible.  All the running tends to tighten my legs up, and it was starting to hurt other parts.  I think I had some great doctors and therapists and I would highly recommend anyone in the Chicago area check them out.

I went to the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute.  They have a great new facility right off the Kennedy on the northwest side of the city.  It's awesome.  My podiatrist was Dr. Leahy, and the therapist I went to see for both some runners knee and my ASTYM treatment was Sarah Macias.  She's great.  She got me back to running within a couple of sessions. 

You can find them online at http://www.ibji.com/

As far as running goes, I ran 25 miles last week with my long run being 15 miles.  Wow was it hot that day.  I think it was in the low 90s and almost 100% humid.  I sweat so much my shorts were dripping.  That was NOT fun.  But at least I got it done.  All this hard work will pay off when I get to NYC for the marathon in November. 

I also swam a 3 times last week.  I only have another week left till the big outdoor pools close for the season.  After that I'll have to go find an indoor pool.  I tried one out this past week, but I didn't like it.  It was crowded, full of seniors doing aqua-robics, and just not very big.  It's not the pools fault, or the people that were there.   I applaud them all for getting up early to exercise.   I just need to find another pool where I can swim laps with others who are also swimming laps.

FUNDRAISING

You've probably by now seen the ALS ice bucket challenge.  I think it is a fantastic idea and I was hoping that somebody would nominate me, and they did.  I gladly accepted the challenge and donated $10 to ALSA.org.  If you haven't already done so, you should consider making a donation.  ALS is a scary, SCARY disease.  It's perhaps one of the most horrific ways to die.  I hope that all this attention and money being raised will help find a cure someday.   Here's a link to the video of my #IceBucketChallenge



I've learned that 2 in 100,000 people are affected by ALS, and thank G-d that number is so low!

Here's another scary thing.  In that same 100,000 people - odds are that 25,000 of them will be affected by cancer.  That scares me more than ALS. Here's a graph to help grasp how many people are affected by cancer. 

In 100,000 people, the number affected by ALS (2) vs cancer (25,000)
Should you donate to ALS?  YES, please do. 

Should you donate to the American Cancer Society?  YES, PLEASE!!   Statistically 1 in 4 Americans will be affected by cancer. 

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

When I did my ice bucket challenge, I doubled up my donation and made a matching $10 contribution to my fundraising campaign for The American Cancer Society.   And I would challenge you all to do the same. 

I'm proud to say that as part of the NYC marathon team DetermiNation we have raised over $450,000 so far for cancer treatment, research, and prevention.  That's amazing. 

Personally I have raised now $2,350.  I have to raise at least $3,400 so I'm only a thousand away from the minimum, but I really want to do more than that.  So I need your help.  If you are able to make a donation - any amount - PLEASE click the link below to donate.  I've fallen off the pace a bit, so I could really use a boost this week.  See the graph below to see how progress has gone so far.  I only got $20 in donations last week, $10 from my buddy Clint who I nominated for the ALS challenge and my $10.



I've got about 2 months till the marathon.  My running training is about to hit high gear.  I need your help, in any amount, to kick my fundraising into high gear as well.  So please, if you can, click on the link below to donate.  I would greatly and sincerely appreciate it. 

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

No comments:

Post a Comment