Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 2 of where the money goes week - Look Good Feel Better

This week I'm going to up the posting in an effort to try and kick up the donations.  This is day 2 of 5.  

If you want to just skip the reading and go straight to making a donation, the link is here:

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

First a quick bit on training.  So I ran a half marathon, 13.1 miles, on Sunday and then Monday night I went to the pool at 8pm for their evening lap swim hour.  I managed to get in 1,100 yards or just over 1/2 a mile.  I was tired.  I wanted to sleep in today, but I have to train if I'm going to finish the NYC marathon.  It's a tough course, so I'm just going to have to be tougher.

Brenda and the millions of people like her didn't quit - so neither will I!

I got up at 4:30 and ran 5 miles this morning.

Fundraising - Look Good Feel Better
 
First off I just want to thank everyone for donating yesterday...I got 5 donations!  That tied the most donations in a day I've gotten.  Awesome job everyone!  Together we raised $175 which exceeded my days goal of $150 - the cost of a wig for a cancer patient who lost their hair from chemo.  Awesome job Jason, Erin, Kirsten, Jen, and Tim.  You guys are heroes!

So TODAY I want to talk about another program the ACS has partnered with, which Brenda took part in during her treatment.  Its an organization called Look Good Feel Better, LGFB, and they are awesome. 

So you know that chemo is like the worst thing.  Maybe ever.  You lose the hair on your head.  You knew that.  Did you know you lose your eyebrows too?  And your eyelashes?  They fall out after the hair on your head, but you lose them.  Think about how strange that might make someone look.  Plus people sometimes lose weight from the side effects of the chemo drugs.   You just start to "look ill" you know? 

It's terrible.  



And while it may not be true that's better to "look good than to feel good" (did I just date myself with that reference?) it's certainly true that it's hard to FEEL good when you don't LOOK good.

But here's where Look Good Feel Better comes in.  They have sessions, paid for by the American Cancer Society, where women can go and get free cosmetics and tips from professional makeup artists on how to apply them so that they can start to look better, which hopefully makes them feel better, which hopefully MAKES them better.  And I believe that it does.  Attitude is so important during treatment - hell during life - that anything you can do to feel better you should do. 

The cost is $200 for a woman to attend one of those LGFB sessions.   Here's an example from their website of what a difference it can make. 

Photo by Chester Simpson/LGFB of Heather from Virginia.  
Can we raise that much today?!  Even if we raise a portion it's still making a difference in the life of someone and their family. 

Please consider making a donation if you can.  I like to say that no donation is too large, but more importantly no donation is too small!  Every little bit helps and makes a difference! 
 
CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO MY NYC MARATHON DONATION PAGE

and if you would like to learn more about Look Good Feel Better, perhaps make another donation directly to them, the link for their website is: http://lookgoodfeelbetter.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment