Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 5 update


Another week, and some good progress was made towards my goal of the NYC marathon.

RUNNING

I got some solid runs in this week, which I’m pretty happy with.  I ran about 22 miles over three runs.  I had two sessions of “speedwork” running at a faster clip, and I got up to 9 miles on my long run.  I would really like to be up in the double digits at this point, but I still have plenty of time to get my stamina up.  It’s just been so much hotter and humid than I’m used to. 

On another positive note, I went back to my orthopedic doctor earlier this week, and since my knee has been feeling so good lately we both agreed that I should just keep up the physical therapy exercises I got and as long as nothing comes up I’m free to just keep on running. 

I’m probably going to be getting a new running watch in the near future.  I’ve logged a lot of miles with my current GPS enabled running watch.  If I had to guess, I’d say I’ve run over 2,500 miles with it in the last 7 years since I’ve had it.   So it’s served me well, but I’m a little excited to get a new one. 

FUNDRAISING

I’m doing pretty well I think. 

I’m currently at $1,376, which is about 22% of my goal – and just a few hundred short of the first milestone I need to reach which is $1.700 by the end of July.   

I got a couple of really great donations from a couple of cancer survivors, Renee Woodward and her father Carl.   I met Renee last year through some mutual friends playing some Ultimate Frisbee.  It’s a loose pickup game, and the same people don’t always show up.  So it’d been maybe 6 months or so since I’d seen her last – but I didn’t think much of it.  After talking with her a bit, it turns out she’d been going through breast cancer treatment. 

One of the things that scares me most about cancer is how it seems to affect anyone.  I don’t mean to come off as alarmist, but Renee is a fellow endurance athlete.  She’s in her 30s.  And yet she still got cancer.  It can happen to anyone.  I’m really glad that she did her self-exams, and it was a good reminder to us all how important it is to do these screenings regularly.   I do. 

Renee and I talked about how that’s one of the good things about the American Cancer Society – that they help promote awareness and prevention, and encourage people to check themselves.  We also talked about how they help with all types of cancers, because there are so many types, and because her father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. 

So big shout outs to Renee and Carl.   First and foremost for being warriors, and for your donations.  I really appreciate your support and as always I hope that with your support, perhaps one day we’ll live in a world without cancer.      


No comments:

Post a Comment