Friday, June 13, 2014

A year and 1,100 miles later


Wow, I can't believe it's been a year today since Brenda's last chemo.  I take that as a good thing though. I think it means life is back to normal - normal in the sense there's so much going on we forgot yet another thing :-) 

In fact if my sister in law hadn't posted something on Facebook I wouldn't have even realized it had been a year. 

I can remember the crap from December 2012 through the first 7 months of 2013, and the month or two that followed her last chemo.  But I guess like her hair, slowly but surely, things got better. 

Then one day, sometime late 2013 I started running again.  A lot. In fact these last 12 months I've run over 1,100 miles. More than I've ever done in a 12 month stretch. I ran through the polar vortex. I've run 2 full marathons and 4 half marathons. 

I've had to take a break the last couple months due to some runners knee, but I am getting back at it now with some physical therapy and strength exercises. I've got the New York City marathon in November ahead of me. 

And as you know I'm raising money for the American Cancer Society. 

Why?  Because the war on cancer is bit over. 

Quick story. About 18 months ago when Brenda was first diagnosed with breast cancer I told a work associate, Bob, and he was always so nice and would ask how Brenda was doing. I hadn't seen Bob for about 6 months, but today I was going to. I was excited to tell him about the anniversary when he hit me with the news his wife has Stage 3 uterine cancer. She has already had surgery but will now be going through chemo. 

We talked for a bit, I shared a few tips that might help, told him to call me anytime. It brought back to the surface some of the memories that had started to sink into my subconscious. 

I truly hope things work out well for Bob's wife. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts as I train for NYC. It also makes me proud to be part of team DetermiNation, working towards an end to this terrible disease. 

If you are able, please make a donation to my campaign, so together maybe someday NOBODY will have to deal with cancer. 

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY11National?px=36402506&pg=personal&fr_id=62209

No comments:

Post a Comment