Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 2 recap - A 3K race!!






This past week saw some great running from the Kogan family.  It wasn't just me this week, the entire family got in on the fun with a local neighborhood race.

The race was 3K, which is just shy of 2 miles.  The course was just blocks from our house at the local school and was organized to raise money for the neighborhood Private and Public schools, in memory of the Principal that had passed away from cancer earlier in the year.  It was bitter sweet, because on the one hand I was sad to think about the loss of such a great leader in our community, but I was also really excited after the race for how well it went.

I'd been feeling a bit down lately as my wonky runners knee was keeping me from really racing, but that day I'd been feeling good.  So I decided I was gonna try and win!  Well that didn't happen, but I think I came in a very strong 4th place - actually a tie for 4th.

1st place was a 23 year old at 11:50.8 - well if I was 18 years younger...
2nd place was a 44 year old at 12:17.7 - I tip my cap to you sir!
3rd place was the 12 year old older brother of one of my sons friends at 12:42.7...keep running kid - you have some skillz

Towards the finish line,  with about 200 meters to go, I saw a 15 year old kid that I had been trailing maybe 10 feet in front of me.  So I screamed out to him "KID IN FRONT OF ME, I'M COMING UP BEHIND YOU!" and we both took off.  I ran as fast and as hard as I could.  He sped up, I sped up, and it was a battle!  After crossing the finish line I shook his hand, told him "good race," and he probably thought I was nuts.  Turns out we tied!  13 minutes, 7 seconds, and 4/10ths of a second each!  Like I said, I feel pretty stoked about my run.

I also feel really excited about the great photos that were taken, not just of the battle at the finish, but of my two boys who also ran.  The did one lap, so 1.5K - that's a personal best for both of them and they did great!

They both look like they've got some solid form, but my youngest (wearing #330) just seems to be floating!  He's so light on his feet at times.  I think he's gonna be the faster of the two soon, and if I don't keep up with my running he's gonna be able to outrun me sooner rather than later! 

My wife, Brenda, also ran one loop.  Another confirmation that it's not REALLY her thing...but I love that she took part in the day. 

In addition to feeling good about my running that day, I felt really good knowing that I'm raising money to fight the terrible disease that took the life of the Principal.

Speaking of which, as of today I'm at 9% of my goal to at least $6,000 - and I'd like to give some shout outs to those who donated this past week.  To my good friend Andrea (who is one of the most EPIC people I know and totally agrees with me that we should F*CK cancer) and to my very good friends Wes and Kim who I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting from a random game of Ultimate Frisbee over 10 years ago and the honor of being in their bridal party.  Your contributions to my fundraising campaign mean a lot to me, but your friendships both during Brenda's battle last year and always means more.

So THANKS!

A few other quick tid bits to round up last week:

- I went to my first American Cancer Society Team DetermiNATION meeting of the local Chicago chapter.  I get all these emails from the NYC chapter, but I can't take part in those events.  So I found the local chapter to hang out with.  I got some great information, which I plan to share over the next few weeks.

- I ran about 11 miles total last week.  Not a huge amount for me, but it's a good start.  Official training doesn't start for another couple of weeks, so I'm easing back into it.  The good news is I've been really trying hard to keep up with my Physical Therapy exercises and I think it's helping me get over my runners knee.  Fingers crossed!!  

- In addition to running I've been doing the 30 day Abs Challenge with Brenda.  It's tough.  Situps, crunches, leg raises, and planks.  I think we are up to day 12 now. 

Now...if you'd like to help join the fight, and you are able to, PLEASE click below to donate as I continue my training and fundraising for the NEW YORK CITY MARATHON this November! 

CLICK HERE TO DONATE


No comments:

Post a Comment